Friday, September 14, 2012

Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"~ The famous quote uttered by Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 during one of his inaugural speechs to capture his audience during The Great Depression. These words have been used and reflected by many during times when things aren't looking up and allowing fear to overwhelm us to soon within the storm.

Fear, what is it?  Fear can be defined as "A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid. foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm. courage, security, calm, intrepidity."(http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fear).  So then if fear is a form of emotion and we are able to control our emotions whether happy, sad, inlove, confused, excited, or whatever; why is it that fear is one of those emotions that seem to take on a entire new form within ourselves?  Many people have allowed fear to hold them back from making progress within their personal lives as well as their business lives and end up living with regret thus forming bucket list, which some don't get the chance to accomplish everything on the list as fear has once again got in the way.

I respect those who have taken a chance to overcome their fears by looking fear dead in the face and pushing it to the side to be able to say "Hey I overcame my fear, on to the next obsticle, I can achieve anything now."  Like everything else it is a working progress, you can not just jump right in and take back your emotion and calm it down.  You have to think about the fact of what is it about this obsticle that is holding you back from jumping over that hurtle, and what will happen for you when you overcome it.  For me, I am terrified of heights so the fact of getting on say a roller coaster that either does loops, goes extremely high, has your feet dangling outside the car, or all of the above scares the bejesus out of me.  I love to fly and at first I was afraid to fly, but I overcame that fear only because I had to in order to get home due to an issue with the train and time frame of the greyhound.  But I felt a little more secure as I am enclosed and I don't have to look out the window...I can look forward and can't see the parking lot as I fly at speeds unknown down hill.  But I am a working progress, this weekend I plan on going to Kennywood to ride the Phantoms Revenge and the Skyrocket for the first time facing fear head on.  Wish me luck because I am going to need it, I will try and take pics of before and after I get off; If I go through with it, so stay tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment